I can't believe another year has come and gone! Tradionally, it was thought that one could affect their luck in the coming year by the food they ate on the first day of the new year. Many cultures believe that anything in the shape of a ring is good luck, because it symbolizes "coming full circle." Since I need some good luck in 2011 I'll be eating a dozen donuts and a bundt cake on New Year's Day! As I've always said, "I've never met a donut I didn't like."
On New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight it's traditional to sing "Auld Lang Syne." Most people know the first verse, but how many people know the second verse:
"And there's a hand my trusty fiere,
And gie's a hand o thine
And we'll tak a right guid-willie waught,
For auld lang syne"
I have no idea what the above means but I'm pretty sure it's x-rated!
My grandmother's maiden name was Burns and there are rumors that we're related to Robert Burns (author of Auld Lang Syne) and some relative has his watch. Someday I'll have to investigate our geneology.
There was Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown and the Grinch.
The Christmas Carol, and It's A Wonderful Life were a cinch.
But do you recall the worst Holiday Specials of all?
1. Christmas With the Cast of Jersey Shore - see Snooky throw her own holiday punch!
2. Carrot Top Celebrates Kwanza
3. A Titanic Christmas - See Celine Dion sing classic Christmas carols while trying not to fall off the tiltiing deck of the ship.
4. Chucky Comes Home For The Holiday. The killer doll returns to wreck havoc.
5. Dancing With The Elves. Santa's Elves compete for the disco ball
6. Lewis Black reads "Twas The Night Before Christmas" The angry, loud comedian reads the classic poem at top volume.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
1. Don't drink and decorate! Every year hundreds of Americans are injured after drinking too much spiked egg nogg, staggering over to their trees, and passing out. Christmas trees are not good at cushing falls since they are covered with pointy needles and glass balls.
2. Never decorate your Chrismtas tree with oily or greasy rags, and don't burn nuclear waste in your fireplace these are a fire hazards.
3. Be sure to water your live tree every day. If you put a 1,000 Christmas trees in Lake Pepin they would suck up all the water in two days and their needles would still fall out.
4. If you have a cat, never decorate your tree with tinsel. Cats eat it and it will make them sick. Also if you have a pet vulture, never decorate your tree with raw meat.
5. Never throw pieces of fruit cake up in the air and try to catch them in your mouth. They present a choking hazard, plus they could knock out your teeth.
I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday. Merry Christmas!